It is going to depend a lot on your insurance plan and where you decide to get surgery but let me share a bit about what my expenses were.
- 2 Pre-Surgical Consults in San Francisco with flights for 2 people and 5 nights in a hotel – $1,000
- Comfortable ground floor lodging for 1 month in San Francisco for the pre-op appointment and 3 weeks of recovery on AirBnb – $3,300
- Lodging and gas to drive to San Francisco from Seattle and back – $400
- Takeout food during recovery (we splurged a bit on comfort food) – $1,200
- Medical supplies and copays – $200
- Flight back to San Francisco for a 3 month recheck – $200
Total = $6,500
I am very lucky that I didn’t have any large deductibles and copays since I met my out of pocket max both years. This was obviously a much more comfortable recovery than most people can afford and I am extremely grateful to my friends who donated almost $4,000 to help make this happen. I also didn’t have to bear all the expenses myself since my spouse paid for a lot of the food.